Christmas Garland Tutorial

This is the Christmas garland I have been making for a store display, and I thought it would make a nice tutorial. I am using polar fleece because I like that it doesn't fray, and it is the perfect material for winter. However, I think this garland would work well with other fabrics. I can see it in a ticking stripe for a more homespun look. Or some bright twill, heck, a pretty sheer fabric could be beautiful as well. Go ahead and experiment with different looks.


Materials needed
  1. Felt or any other type of material that you would like to try
  2. Straight edge
  3. Scissors
  4. Sewing machine
  5. Thread in matching color
First lay out your material and use your straight edge to make your marks for cutting


Next, cut your pieces out.


If you want a longer garland, sew two of the strips (or more) together to make one long strip of fabric. You will ultimately want 4 pieces the same length for your garland.


Gather your pieces together, and lay them on top of each other. If you are using more than one color, alternate colors.


Continue sewing straight down the center of your strips. Remember to back stitch at the beginning and the end.


After you have your 4 pieces sewn together, make many cuts towards the center of your garland. Be sure not to cut into your stitches. Do this for both sides.


Hang throughout your house, on your tree, back of chairs, over mirrors, windows, etc.

 I can see this garland in many different colors. I am loving the mustard yellow and pink combo I did. But you can be more traditional and use red and green or red and white. OR... let your imagination go wild and think out side the box of traditional colors for Christmas this year. We are at our house.

The beauty of this garland is that it doesn't have to be perfect. None of my lines were perfectly straight, and my cuts were all different widths, but when you are all done it looks great.

I have another fun tutorial coming up soon for some home-made christmas gifts, so check back.




No comments: