Bow-Tie Pillow Tutorial

This pillow came about because I was making a bow-tie for Oscar, and decided that it would look pretty cute on a pillow too.
2 yards will be plenty of fabric for a 18 inch pillow.
You will need to cut...
2 pieces that measure 19 inches x 19 inches (this will allow a 1/2 inseam on all sides of your pillow)
1 piece that measures 6 inches x 32 inches (this will be the band that goes around the pillow)
1 piece that measures 2 1/2 inches x 4 inches (this will be the middle of your bow)
2 pieces that measure 10 inches x 6 inches (these will be your bow)



Starting with your pillow (the two 19 x 19 inch pieces) pin them together right sides facing each other.



Sew these pieces together using 1/2 inch inseam. Remember to leave an opening at one end so that you can turn it right side out and stuff it. Zig-zag your seams. Turn your pillow right side out and fill it with stuffing. Hand sew your opening together.


Next take your long piece 6 x 32 inch.


Fold it in-half length wise.


Sew together leaving the ends open.


Zig-zag your seams and turn right side out.


Press your long piece with the seam running down the back of the fabric.


Next we will be making the bow. Take your two 10 x 6 inch pieces and lay them on top of each other, right sides facing each other. Sew together just like the pillow with an small opening for turning right side out.  


I DIDN'T use a 1/2 inch inseam on the bow however. I just used my sewing foot as my guide.



Turn your bow right side out and hand stitch the opening closed.


Next take your small piece (2 1/2 x 4 inches) and fold lengthwise. Sew it together lengthwise leaving both ends open. Flip it right side out. You are doing the exact same thing to this piece as you did for the longer piece (the band around the pillow). Press this piece with an iron with the seam running down the back of the fabric so that it is not seen from the front.


Next, fold the piece in half so that the seam is on the outside and sew the ends together.


Flip it around so that the seam is on the inside of the ring you just created and slip it onto the long band that we started earlier.


Sew the band together the same way. I double stitched the band so that it was stronger because it is going to be very snug on the pillow and will be under some stress.

Now slip it onto your pillow so that it fits snugly around the pillow.


Slip your bow thru the middle of the ring, and fluff out the sides until you like the shape.


Using a needle and thread, do a few stitches on each corner of the bow and right in the middle to hold it in place.


I am really loving my pillow collection happening on my couch, I wonder how many more I can sneak on there before John says enough is enough.



1 comment:

Capture said...

I love it! As soon as I get my sewing machine up and running, I'm making it!!!